Willow Creek Presbyterian Church 1845-1920


Click on Picture
to View with Names
Anniversary Book
Daniel G Harvey
Original Churches
Anniversary Crowd
Church Officers
Diamond Jubilee Choir
Ladies Auxiliary
Pictures at Picassa

In order to have a right understanding of the circumstances and conditions that led to the founding of a colony of Kintyre people in Boone and Winnebago Counties, Northern Illinois, it will be necessary to go back to the district of Kintyre in Argyleshire, Scotland.

Kintyre is a peninsula in the southern part of Scotland. It is forty-one and one-half miles long and seven miles wide. To Americans who are accustomed to long distances it seems a small tract of country. Notwithstanding this fact, Kintyre people or their descendants are to be found in nearly every civilized country in the world.

As regards the size of the district of Kintyre, is it not true that small countries have often been the scene in making the history of the world? Belgium is a little country, yet it has been the battle ground of Europe. Likewise, Scotland, though small, has been the battle ground of religious liberty.


It was here in the district of Kintyre that Christianity first took root in the western highlands of, Scotland. St. Columbus who came across the channel from Ireland landed at Keil where he built a church and preached the gospel. The walls of the church still stand today in the old church yard at Keil. Foot prints are cut out on the rock to mark the spot where St. Columbus landed at Keil near the village of South End. Kintyre is divided into two districts or parishes, viz: Campbeltown and South End. It was from these two districts that the. pioneers of the Argyle settlement in Illinois came.

Going back in history to the year 1666, a great plague broke out in the city of London; it was called the "black plague". It was infectious and great numbers died. It spread through England and parts of Scotland, especially to Argyleshire and almost depopulated the peninsula of Kintyre, leaving many vacant farms. Old people spoke of it coming in a white cloud and hovering over the district; whether this was. a superstition or not is not known. Under these conditions, the Marquis of Argyle encouraged people from Renfrewshire, Ayrshire and Galway to come and settle on the vacant farms.


These were the Covenanters of Scotland. The Marquis of Argyle, being a Covenanter himself, gave them every opportunity in his power. The pioneers of the Argyle settlement were the direct descendants of the Covenanters of Scotland. Some may boast of royalty; others can trace their ancestors back to the Pilgrim fathers at Plymouth Rock, but to be in the line of the Covenanters of Scotland is as great an honor. Men and women many of whom gave their lives for the cause of the truth "Being destitute, afflicted, tormented; of whom this world was not worthy; they wandered in deserts and in mountains and in dens and caves of the earth".

In Grey Friar's church yard in Edinburgh, Scotland, is a tomb known as the "Tomb of Martyrs" where those who were executed at the Grass Market near Edinburgh Castle were buried.

Do not think that the pioneers of the Argyle settlement emigrated because they did not love their native land, where in their youth they climbed the hills and roamed through the glens of Bonnie Scotland. There were ties of kindred that bound them together. Among the young people, there were school mates and companions. Among the older people, there were church ties where they met to worship God in the old South End Church and the Long Row Church in Campbeltown.


As far as we are able to learn, the first to leave Kintyre for Illinois, were the Armour boys, John and George, brothers, and their cousin, James Armour, who come in the year 1834 and located at Ottawa, Illinois. These young men were not farmers, they were tradesmen or mechanics. At this time, Illinois was the farthest west state in the union. Wisconsin was a territory and Iowa was the wild west.

The origin of locating the Argyle settlement was as follows: James Armour, a shoemaker living at Ottawa, came to northern Illinois with some other gentlemen prospecting for land. He took up a claim on some prairie and timber lands located on Willow Creek on the county line between Boone and Winnebago Counties, afterward known as the Scotch Grove.

The original claim is now owned by the William A. Ralston Estate, John A. Picken Estate, and Thomas Andrew. After a time James Armour gave up his claim to his cousins, John and George Armour. In order to hold the claim, the government made it necessary for them to build a house and live on the land for a certain length of time. They came to the claim and built a log cabin on the north by west side of the grove.

They left the claim and, went back to Ottawa and from there they went back to Scotland on a visit. They had no thought at that time of being the forerunners of a colony in northern Illinois.


In later years, George Armour became a millionaire, one of the merchant princes of America. He contributed five hundred dollars to the building fund of the present Willow Creek Church. When John and George Armour returned to Scotland, they found the farmers in Kintyre in a serious condition. Like Caleb and Joshua of old, they reported a goodly land in America and the opportunity that the government gave to settlers to obtain homes of their own. The Armour boys did not remain long in Scotland, they had caught the western fever of adventure and returned to Ottawa.

There was a combination of circumstances that led to the emigration of these pioneers. First, a number of small farms were put together to make larger farms; again, there was a series of poor crops, dull markets and low prices, making it difficult for the farmers to pay their rents. Being under severe landlords, they saw little prospect for their growing families to remain in Scotland. Rather than to have family ties sundered, they ""were willing to emigrate to a new country.


Mr. and Mrs. John Greenlee, who were the pioneers and founders of the Argyle settlement, were the first to emigrate 'with their young family in the summer of 1836, coming to Ottawa, Illinois. Mr. Greenlee was an uncle of the Armour boys. In the month of December, 1836, John Greenlee accompanied by his nephew, John Armour, came to the Armour claim and built a log cabin on the north side of the grove and returned to Ottawa for the winter.

In the spring of 1837, during the month of March, through the advice of the Armours, Mr. and Mrs. John Greenlee with their young family came to the Armour claim and occupied the log cabin.

All the lands in this vicinity had been the hunting grounds of the Winnebago tribe of Indians, after which the county was named. The government had bought it from them and paid them at Fort Dearborn, Chicago.


They passed through this locality on their western march before the tide of emigration to other reservations west of the Mississippi River. The ashes of their camp fires were still on the ground when our pioneers located this colony. There was something pathetic about the way the Indians migrated, going single file across. the prairie, carrying their children and little belongings. Indian trails could be traced for years afterward across the prairie.

Although game was plentiful in the country at that time, other foods were scarce. There was no grain raised in this locality, except a little corn the Indians had planted. Mr. Greenlee bought corn from an Indian and husked it himself. It was on the land ,,,here the Catholic church now stands on North Second Street, Rockford, Illinois.

That the young people may have a better understanding of the hardships of the early settlers, the following incident will illustrate: John Greenlee having no wagon or oxen, carried a sack of grain on his back to a mill at Newberg, on the Kishwaukee River, there being no provisions for the family until his return. Speaking of the incident years afterward, :Mr. Greenlee said that he shed tears as he went with the grain. The promise was fulfilled to him that "they who sow in tears shall reap in joy."


In these days, we hear people spoken of as having an iron will. If any one possessed an iron will, it was Mr. and Mrs. John Greenlee. For to their heroic endurance and untiring energy is due in a large measure the success of the colony. It was here in this humble cabin that Ellen Greenlee was born, being the first child of the parish. In the summer of 1837, Mr. Greenlee took up a claim for himself, it being the land adjoining the Armour claim on the west, now owned by the Charles Andrew Estate.

The next family to emigrate from Scotland was that of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Reid. They followed nearly the same journey as the Greenlee family. Leaving Scotland in 1837, they spent the winter at Ottawa and coming to the Armour claim in the spring of 1838, and occupied the Armour cabin. It was here that James S. Reid was born, being the first male child of the colony.

In the year 1839, the following families arrived: George Picken, Robert Howie, Andrew Giffen and Alexander McDonald. In the year 1840, William Ferguson, James Picken, John Andrew, Alexander Reid, Robert Armour, and Samuel Howie. In 1841, Gavin Ralston, David Ralston, William Harvey, John McEachran and John Picken. This made seventeen families who were located here in 1841.


They did not neglect the assembling of themselves together for prayer and praise and reading of the scriptures. They met alternately at the home of John Greenlee and Andrew Giffen.

In 1842 the log school house was built on Robert Howie's farm south and west of where the church now stands. The building stood with gable ends east and west. It had one door on the south side. Three windows, one on the north, south and east, with a fire-place in the west end. The seats or benches were slabs hewn from logs, each family providing a seat. This building was used for a day school, Sunday school, and church services for a number of years and it was in this building that the Willow Creek Church was organized.


The Gleaner was the only emigrant ship that sailed direct from Campbletown to New York. The others having sailed from Glasgow and Greenock. Matthew Cordioror, one of the South End farmers, stood on deck of the vessel and gave the farewell address to the emigrants.

The following people sailed in the ship Gleaner of Campbeltown under Captain Gale for New York on the fourth day of June, 1842 (being Saturday) about eight o'clock in the evening, viz: William Montgomery, Mr. and Mrs. James Montgomery and family of three sons and four daughters, and John Montgomery; Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Smith and family of six sons and three daughters, and a niece of Daniel Smith; Mr. and Mrs. Neil McKay and family of four sons and two daughters; Mr. and Mrs. John Cardwell, also "his mother and mother-in-law; and David C. Ralston, his brother-in-law; Mr. and Mrs. Peter Greenlee and family of four sons and three daughters, also his mother; Mr. and Mrs. Archie McNair and family of two sons and one daughter; Mr. and Mrs. David Andrew and family of six sons and three daughters; Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Howie and family of two sons and one daughter; Mr. and Mrs. William Ralston and family of two sons and five daughters; Campbell Kelley, and Angus Cumings. There ·were about one hundred passengers, most of them going to Illinois and some to Ohio. I t blew a heavy gale from the west and continued to blow very hard until thee 27th. They arrived in N ew York on the 28th of June, 1842, all in good health, being three weeks and three days on their journey.

The same year came the family of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Reid, James Reid, Mrs. McNair and two children, Alexander and Elizabeth McNair. In 1843 came the family of Peter Ralston, Charles Picken, Alexander Ralston, and Lionel Henderson. This made thirty families who were located here in 1843, before the church was organized.


In the month of December, 1844, the Rev. Mr. Norton, a "new school" Presbyterian minister living at Rockton, organized the church. The first election of elders was John Greenlee, Daniel Smith and James Montgomery. The first sacrament of the Lord's supper was celebrated on January 13, 1845.

They were undecided at first, in their choice of a denomination. There was a wish on the part of some to join the Associated Reform Church, but the majority favored the organization as a Presbyterian church. They did not decide at first whether it would be old or new school. The new school was not considered sound in some doctrinal points, and the old school upheld slavery at that time. On January 9, 1845, they joined the old school Presbyterian church, judging it to be the soundest in doctrine although objecting to its pro-slavery views. The church corresponded with the Schuyler Presbytery at Monmouth, Illinois, to send them a missionary. They send the Rev. Mr. Walker, who supplied them for three years.


The second election of elders was Robert Howie and Peter Ralston. A congregational meeting was called to consider the building of a new church. The plans adopted were to sell seats at a value that would cover the cost of the building on the basis of personal property. Those who purchased seats were to have the sale right for themselves and their heirs as long as they paid the yearly assessment. It was decided that the material should be of red brick with the lumber necessary for finishing. Those having. teams hauling grain to Chicago, should, on their return trip, haul five hundred feet of lumber.

The church was built in 1844 and occupied in 1850. It was built near 'where the manse now stands. It was forty-five feet long and thirty feet wide, having one door in the east end, six 'windows, three on the north and three on the south. The pulpit was in the west end. It was a neat, comfortable and substantial church for that early day.


Rev. Matthew Howie, one of the young men of the parish, in a letter to the anniversary committee, at the time of our semi-centennial celebration, gives a description of the interior of the first church.

I will read Mr. Howie's description of the first church. "It had walnut pews with doors to them, so that when all the family got in they latched the door and shut out all intruders. At the west end, on an elevated platform, was an enclosed box pulpit, also with doors, so that when the preacher got inside he was secure against all inquisitive eyes and could take a pinch of snuff and curl his hair or adjust his white necktie, without anyone being the wiser for it. It was painted a glistening white and when I heard the preacher read from John's vision about the 'great white throne,' I wondered if it looked like that pulpit.

"Just in front of the pulpit on a less elevated platform stood the precentor, George Greenlee, who led the singing in Rouse's version of the Psalms ... No instrument was used, but he used a tuning fork to get the pitch and catch the mysterious spirit of the hymn. Sometimes he would take up his brother John to help him with the singing. Then the old people would shake their heads and say they were afraid that young man was trying to introduce some new fangled notion, it was the first step toward a choir, and that would never do.


"But when some one proposed a cabinet organ for the church, the air grew lurid and there was thunder and lightning all around the sky. I remember hearing my father and John Caldwell discuss the subject one day and they concluded it was surely the 'de'il' who was putting these notions into the heads of the young people and father said he would be one of a committee to go and pitch the organ into the middle of the road, if it was ever put in the church. My sister Martha, was audacious enough to remind them that David used a harp in praising the Lord and that there were harps in heaven. 'Ah, yes!' they said, 'but they were very different instruments from these Yankee organs.' "

From 1845 to 1846, the church was supplied by John Sovereign and T. L. Breckenridge. The ministers who followed the Rev. Norton were Rev. Mr. Tiletson for one year, and Rev. Mr. Walker for three years. The Rev. Mr. Ustick came to the church in 1850 and continued for five years, being their first regularly called minister. The first sermon Rev. Ustick preached was from the text, "How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land ?" -Psalm 137:4. The third election of elders was John Ralston and James Picken.


The year 1850 was the banner year of the settlement. They had a permanent place of worship and more families came that year from Scotland than any other year. Homes were located and hundreds of acres of the virgin soil was broken up.

The following families sailed from Glasgow with the ship Sarah under Captain Tims on the sixth of June, 1850, viz: Mr. and Mrs. Robert Greenlee and family of five sons and five daughters; Mrs. William Greenlee and family of four sons and three daughters, and Miss Katherine Greenlee; James and John Kelly; Robert and Agnes Kelly; Mathew Blair, Neil McMichael, David Hogerth, Robert Maxwell, Dugal McDugal, and William Ryburn.

On the same date, June sixth, the following sailed from Greenock in the ship Charlotte Harrison under Captain Mackintyre, viz: Mr. and Mrs. John Ralston, two sons and six daughters; Mrs. Martha McDonald, one son and two daughters; Mrs. Mitchell, two sons and two Daughters; the Watson family, five sons and two daughters; Duncan McDonald, and William Reid, also the McKerrell and McDonald families who 'were going to Canada.

The day that the Charlotte Harrison landed in New York, the city was holding memorial services. The occasion was the death of Zachary Taylor, president of the United States, who died on the ninth of July, 1850. This was an occasion to be remembered by these emigrants.


It was the custom in the old church to hold two services with a half hour interval. In Ian Maclaren's book, Beside the Bonnie Brier Bush, we read how the men in the parish of Drumtochty would meet on the kirk green during the interval between the sermons and discuss the public questions of the day. Did you know that we had a Drumtochty here in Illinois? During the interval between services the women and children would visit in the church and the men would meet on the kirk green and discuss the public questions of the day-the question of slavery, the tariff, the doctrine of election, weather conditions, crops, and markets.

When the services were over and the congregation was dismissed, or as the Scotch would say, "When the kirk skailed," there would be a long line of lumber Wagons going north, south, west and east to the pioneer homes. Following Rev. Ustick's resignation, the trustees engaged the Rev. Shand of Roscoe to supply the church for eight months.


The first school in the parish was a private school taught by Janet Giffen who later was Mrs. Birdsall of Chicago. The school teachers in the log school were Misses Lovsey, Blair, Whipple, McCochran, Birdsall, Dresser, Armstrong, T. L. Breckenridge, James Giffen and Robert Ralston.

Come back in your memory once more to the old school house. The boys are playing shinney on the green, the girls are amusing themselves with some other game. Hear the shout of the boys as they knock the ball high over their heads to the final goal. The hour has come and the school is called. The children take their places on the slab benches. The teacher is Robert Ralston, a man who was capable of teaching in any high school, a graduate of the Edinburgh University. The children together read a chapter of the Bible and the lessons are resumed for the day. When the hour for closing comes. the roll is called.

Who today can answer present? Only a very few; the great majority have answered the final roll call. The years pass swiftly by and we are borne on with the tide of time. Truly the places that know us now shall know us no more forever!


On May 24, 1858 the congregation presented a call to the Rev. Thomas G. Smith of Cincinnati, Ohio, to become their pastor which continued for four years. During this time, instead of holding Sunday school in the church, being crowded for room, it was held in the different school houses in the parish and the families were catechised from house to house by the pastor.

During this time the parish had so increased by emigration and birth that the little brick church could not accommodate the congregation. In June, 1858 a meeting was called to consider the building of an addition to the brick church. The addition w

as a frame built across the east end of the brick making the audience room in the form of the letter "T". The pulpit was in the center of the east end, the pews facing north, south and east. The fourth election of elders was Alexander J. Ralston, Thomas Brown, David Lamont, and Andrew Giffen.

Following Rev. T. G. Smith's resignation, the church presented a call to Rev. R. G. Thompson of Beloit, which continued for five years. The Sunday school was reorganized in the church as it now is by Rev. R. G. Thompson. The fifth election of elders was Robert Montgomery, Charles Picken, and John McEachran.

Following Rev. R. G. Thompson's resignation in 1868, the church presented a unanimous call to the Rev. Thomas C. Easton, D.D., then of Harvard. During this pastorate of three years, .successful revival services were held, and through the power of the Word many were added to the church.


Hearing and discussing of sermons was part of the social life of the settlement in the early days. Perhaps you have read of Elspeth McFadyen in the Bonnie Brier Bush who was the "sermon taster" who was blessed with a good memory and kept it in fine fettle on sermons. There were sermon tasters in the old Willow Creek church. Any young minister who could pass their criticisms was worthy of any pulpit. If he introduced a story by way of illustration into his sermon, the comment would be, "It was gie thin gruel yon."

They seldom complimented their minister. The Rev. John Montgomery, one of the young men of the parish, speaking of the old people, said that they put him in mind of a young Scotch lad who on the eve of their wedding turned to his bride and said: "Maggie, hae I no treated you reel ceevil?" meaning that he had not kissed her during their courtship. She replied, "Aye, Sandy, ye hae been senselessly ceevil." When they did offer a compliment to their minister, it was honest and sincere and meant a great deal.


Following Dr. Easton's resignation, the church was without a pastor for two years. It was the custom in Scotland to have an assistant minister at communion service and preaching on Thursday, as a fast in connection with the Saturday preparatory service, this custom was kept up for a number of years. At these communion services the congregation had an opportunity of hearing many eminent men. This church was· at that time connected with the Chicago Presbytery. The following ministers have preached here: Drs. Rice, Lord, Henry, Elliott, Marquis, Hamilton, Alexander, Phelps and Dr. Smith of Springfield, (Abraham Lincoln's minister). In 1874 the church presented a call to the Rev. H. M. Collison to become their pastor, which continued for one year and five months. The sixth election of elders was Archie Smith, Peter Ralston, David Howie, and James Kelly.


Following Rev. H. M. Collison's resignation, the church presented a unanimous call to the Rev. Ben. E. S. Ely of Beloit to become their pastor which pastorate continued for nearly six years. At this time Moody and Sankey were holding successful revival services in Chicago. Rev. Ben E. S. Ely conducted revival meetings using the Moody and Sankey Gospel Hymns and many were added to the church. The Ladies' Missionary Society was organized with Mrs. Ben E. S. Ely as president, and is still in prosperous condition.

The present church was built in the year 1877, the building committee being William Ferguson, James Picken, Jr., Thomas Brown, Edward Brown, and Rev. Ben E. S. Ely, with the trustees Charles Picken, David Brown and Thomas Ralston, Sr. The financial committee was James Greenlee, west; Thomas Greenlee, north; William Reid, south. The building cost $12,593.00 and was dedicated on Thursday, February 7, 1878. Rev. Prof. F. L. Patton, D.D. of Chicago, delivered the dedication sermon. The evening services were led by Rev. J. K. Fowler of Rockford.

The pastoral relation between this church and the Rev. Ben E. S. Ely was dissolved April 10, 1881. The following October the church called the Rev. James MacLaughlin of Chicago to be their pastor, which continued for six years. The seventh election of elders was Hugh Breckenridge and James Reid.


In the year 1887 the church was without a pastor and was supplied by Rev. Thomas L. Scott of Rockford. The church presented a call to the Rev. J. M. Fulton of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, which pastorate continued for three years. The eighth election of elders was Hugh Brown, J. C. Tripp, Thomas Andrew, Peter Greenlee, and David Picken. During Rev. J. M. Fulton's pastorate the Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor was organized and is still in prosperous condition.

In November, 1891, the congregation called Rev. E. L. Williams of Rochelle. After supplying the church for four months he resigned, not being installed, the church took no action on his resignation. In May, 1892, the Rev. W. R. Herendeen of Chicago, was called to become their pastor which continued for two years, purposing a year's travel and study in Europe, Rev. Herendeen resigned. The following December the congregation called the Rev. William I. Alexander of Decatur, Indiana, to become their pastor.


This brings us to the time of our Semi-Centennial Anniversary which was held on the sixth and seventh of June, 1895. It was a happy occasion, a reunion of former pastors and people, of former church members and friends, a time long to be remembered in the parish. The Freeport Presbytery met and installed Rev. W. I. Alexander as pastor which continued for nine years. He preached his. last sermon October 9, 1904 from the text, "God forbid that I should boast, save in the cross of Christ."


The following December 18th, the church called the Rev. M. L. Pearson of Kokomo, Indiana, to become their pastor, which was the longest pastorate in the history of the church. During Rev. Pearson's pastorate the church adopted the' pledge system for the benevolences of the church, which proved to be a success and ,,'as the means of supporting a missionary in Africa. Rev. Pearson accepted a call to the Presbyterian church at Orange, California. The subject of his last sermon was "Coming back to the old wells". The ninth election of elders was Dr. D. B. Penniman, Edward Ralston, and James C. Greenlee.


On June 17, 1917, the church extended a call to the Rev. John Acheson of Somonauk, Illinois, to become their pastor. In August, 1918 the church, by request, granted one year leave of absence to Rev. Acheson to engage in Y. M. C. A. work overseas. The congregation then appointed a committee on supplies, Thomas Andrew, R. M. Greenlee and Charles T. Brown. The committee engaged Rev. Teeuwissen, then of Camp Grant, to supply the pulpit for ten months. Later he received an appointment as a missionary and was assigned to Y. M. C. A. work at Vladivostok, Siberia. On Rev. Acheson's return from overseas work, he resigned as pastor of the Willow Creek church on September 7, 1919. The following November the church extended a call to the Rev. Edgar W. Smith of Decatur, Illinois, to become the pastor.

This brings us to our Seventy-Fifth Anniversary year. These occasions are the mile-stones that mark the passing of the years. The pioneer days were days of toil and hardships, yet they were days that had their bright side. The old people were buoyed up by the thought of gaining homes of their own. There was something cheerful about the old fireplaces where they could meet and visit and speak of the home-land and of days gone by. And the young people would meet for games and cake or visit at one of the pioneer homes.


In the early days the women would card and spin the wool into yarn for family use. All the socks, stockings and mittens were made by hand. The yarn was also used for making cloth such as blankets and shawls. Listen, you who are old enough to remember, can you hear the hum of the old spinning wheel and the whirr of the reel as your mother, wife, or sister spins for the family? She sings as she spins and the spinning is timed to the song and as the last thread is wound on the spindle, the song is finished, it is the song of the home life and contentment, sweeter by far than the noise of the factory we hear in these modern days.

Eight of the young men of the parish studied for the ministry: viz: John Montgomery, John Giffen, Matthew Howie, James A. Harvey, Thomas Lamont, Hugh Lamont, Frank Reid and Edward Montgomery, (Also William Henderson, a singing evangelist). Who will be the next to hold up the banner of the cross in this land or in some foreign field? "The harvest is truly great, but the laborers are few."

The pastors of this church were men of talent and ability. In this 'age of progress, in all the vocations of life men strive to rise in their profession. It is true of the ministers. It is a satisfaction for us to know that our pastors! have occupied high positions in city churches in this land, we bid them Godspeed and will rejoice as a people if we have helped them in any way to become successful ministers of the gospel.

In the early days of the church in the absence of a minister, our wants were well supplied by one of our number, John Caldwell. When it was known that he was to address the meeting, the old and young were equally interested to hear him.' His lectures on the Revelations of St. John were especially interesting. We owe a tribute to his memory as few men had the natural gift to expound the word of God as John Caldwell. The tenth election of elders was John W. Thompson.


As we .look back over the seventy-five years of our church life, we realize that God has been faithful to his covenant promise. This parish has been blessed in both spiritual and temporal matters. The pioneers of the Argyle settlement and founders of the church have gone to their reward and there are only a few now in life who were the boys and girls of the pioneer days. All honor to the men and women who laid the foundation of our commonwealth who gave the church first place in the community! W e cherish their memory as true citizens of their adopted country, strong pillars in the new land for God and for home and for humanity.

To the young people who are the descendants of the pioneers, you have been left a goodly heritage. In these days there is so much to take our minds away from the serious side of life. Strive to stand by the principles laid down by your ancestors in regard to the church and the Sabbath. Remember that "unto whom much is given of the same also shall much be required".


Many of you may be spared to celebrate the one hundredth anniversary of the organization of this church. This will be something for you to look forward to as the years pass by. You are the hope of the church. Continue to be true and faithful workers in God's vineyard, then this church shall be as a city that is set upon a hill that can not be hid. The promise to the Christian is, "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither, and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

This Church history was delivered by Daniel G. Harvey, Wednesday June 23, 1920 at the Diamond Jubilee Anniversary morning service.
It was estimated that during the two day celebration, over 1,000 individuals had attended. Individual Sevices were attended by from 450 to 700.
To visit some of my index pages, choose from this drop down list, and click GO:
HTML-Kit Button252